Home Libraries Club Volunteer
West Ealing Library is a community managed library run by volunteers to support the diverse communities of Ealing. We are launching an extension of the current Home Library Service that is offered to those unable to use the library in person. The extension will include a Home Libraries Club. The aim of the Club is to connect those currently using the Home Library Service by improving their digital capacity to be able to access online library services, basic internet access and weekly activities from home.
To achieve this goal, we need a group of enthusiastic volunteers who can visit current Home Library Service customers in the community to promote this new service. Please note that, when visiting potential members, you will always be accompanied by another volunteer to ensure your own safety. Once the number of members has begun to increase, volunteers will carry out regular visits to provide basic IT support and guidance to service users, depending on their digital skill level. In order to deliver this service, we need help.
The key responsibilities for this role are:
· Partnered with another volunteer you will be visiting existing Home Library Service customers to encourage them to join this new service.
· Managing requests for technology and visiting members at their homes/residence to deliver this technology.
· Demonstrating and teaching service users a range of basic, essential, online skills like setting up a device, creating an email address, joining Zoom calls etc.
· Dispensing informative material, such as how-to guides, to upskill members.
· Assisting with providing regular online events, such as a book club, to connect members socially.
· Ensuring that the service user’s online profile is updated and recording your interactions with club members.
· Talking to customers in the capacity of a ‘good neighbour’ and reporting any concerns about customers to our Safeguarding Officer.
As the project has been launched very recently, we need to ascertain the different needs of potential club members, such as how many individuals will require a visit at home from volunteers. However, the role will be flexible and you may decide how many visits you are able to complete and the distance that you are willing to travel.
What skills do I need?
Who you are:
· You have an ability to relate to people in a warm and friendly manner in person and at online Library Club events.
· You have good IT skills and an enthusiasm to share your skills.
· You are an active listener and able to give friendly support to vulnerable people.
· You are willing and able to travel by public transport or have access to a car and a clean driving license.
· It would be beneficial, but not required, if you are able to speak a community language (e.g. Polish, Urdu, Somali).
· You are able to give a minimum of 4 hours a week.
No additional details recorded for this opportunity.
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 21/06/2021
End Date: 21/06/2022
The Mulberry Centre
Urban Trailblazer community interest company
Age UK (Hounslow)