Customer Service Volunteer
West Ealing Library is a community managed library run by volunteers to support the diverse communities of Ealing. Our aim is to provide a place of welcome where people can access books, the internet and help and support. A place where people can find information, attend an event, volunteer and learn about other local volunteering opportunities.
Within the West Ealing Community Managed Library visitors will find a range of library services, the Ealing and Hounslow Volunteer Centre and the Rescue and Advice Hub offering appointments for advice on mental health and wellbeing, digital skills and employment training and support.
To successfully run the library we need volunteers who can welcome visitors, help them with enquiries and ensure the library is a place visitors enjoy. In order to continue to deliver such a wide range of facilities and services, we need help. Is this for you?
In the library you may be:
- Ensuring customers get a positive, warm and friendly greeting and have an enjoyable experience
- Engaging with customers and encouraging them to use the library’s self-service platforms,
- directing them to book sections and promoting library activities
- Tidying shelves – checking items on the shelves are in good condition, are in the correct sequence and are attractively displayed
- Shelving returned items
- Giving basic information about how visitors to the library can find out about volunteering withing the borough
- Providing basic advice and booking appointments for visitors in need of the Advice & Rescue Hub
- Helping a visitor to fill out forms and applications and use one of the library’s computers
- Dealing with difficult customers in a calm and effective manner and trying to resolve problems
- Providing some basic IT support to customers who need it
We began a phased opening to the general public on the 20th July 2021 and are hoping to build our hours even more in the New Year, but do note, we are adhering to Government safety guidelines and volunteer safety is paramount.
What skills do I need?
Who you are:
- You enjoy interacting with the public
- You are a good communicator and comfortable speaking to people from a wide variety of backgrounds including library visitors, staff and other volunteers
- You are responsible, dependable, patient, friendly and a good listener
- You are able to use your own initiative to find solutions
- Good team player
- Interested in reading and have the confidence to recommend items for other people
- You are organised and able to shelve items in correct sequence whether alphabetically, numerically or in special collections and displays
- Have some basic IT skills to help members of the public with basic computer tasks, and use the library cataloguing systems
- You are physically fit enough to be able to carry items and shelve at different heights
- Able to give a minimum of 4 hours a week
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Expenses reimbursed
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Vulnerable Adults Policy (where relevant)
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 17/03/2020
End Date: 31/01/2022
As we open our doors, we initially intend to be open Tuesday to Thursday 10-4. These times may change.
Each Counselling and Support
Actonians Ladies Football Club
The Mulberry Centre
London Borough of Hounslow Swimming Club
Isleworth Voluntary Care Network