Coronavirus (COVID-19) community support
What can I do to help my family, friends and neighbours?
Wherever possible people who are self-isolating are being encouraged to ask for help from family, friends, and neighbours. We would encourage everyone who can help others to let their family, friends and neighbours know if they are available and what they can do to help.
The type of help which could be offered includes:
· collecting and delivering shopping – leaving deliveries on the doorstep or safe place to avoid close physical contact;
· suggesting local shopping options and trusted suppliers;
· collecting and delivering prescriptions if you are the nominated person registered with the GP;
· caring for pets;
· regular social contact via telephone, FaceTime, skype calls or other methods that will avoid physical contact (offering to call your neighbour who can’t get out so they have someone to chat to on the phone could make all the difference);
· encouraging people to contact others in the same situation by linking people together;
· delivering books and magazines or materials to support hobbies such as wool for knitting or art materials;
· reassuring people with accurate and up to date advice and information; and
· signposting people to other sources of help if needed.
What else can I do to help?
We are aware that informal networks of volunteers are being set up. We are also encouraging established local groups to consider what support they may be able to provide. There may be a group in your neighbourhood that needs extra volunteers.
If you would like to offer your time to a local charity, voluntary organisation or community group with COVID-19 support but are unsure who to talk to, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
British Red Cross Guidance
The British Red Cross has developed a new step-by-step guide for anyone responding to the coronavirus outbreak. The free online guidance aims to help local charities, mutual aid groups and individuals to support people in their communities safely. For more information click here